What are wildflowers?
Wildflowers is the name given to a wide range of beautiful flower species that you can find growing naturally in local forests and meadows.
Many flower species you can buy originated abroad. They are often cultivated to have enhanced colours and foliage. In contrast, wildflowers are as nature originally intended.
Wildflowers are a vital source of food for pollinators such as bees, butterflies, moths, and other species. From Yellow Chamomile and Corn Cockle to Red Clover and Viper's Bugloss, wildflowers have developed a fantastic variety of colours, shapes, and sizes – making them attractive to both pollinators and people alike.
Why plant wildflower seeds?
Sow a mix of wildflower seeds in any area of your garden and watch it transform into a colourful, miniature meadow. When the seeds flower, they'll give your outdoor space a natural and dreamy atmosphere, turning it into a haven where you can relax and unwind.
Since wildflowers are typically native plant life, they should already be accustomed to your environment. This makes them far less fussy than other flower types, needing little maintenance. You might even be surprised to find that some species of wildflower prefer poor soil and neglect, making them ideal for the more awkward areas of your garden.
Planting wildflower seeds is also a great way to benefit the environment. Native wildflowers have evolved alongside UK wildlife for hundreds of years. From their flowering times to their attractive appearance, they've developed in a unique way that makes them especially suitable for picky pollinators to use for food.
What to consider when choosing wildflower seeds?
When it comes to choosing your wildflower seeds, there are a few details you should pay attention to:
- Seed type – Different wildflower seeds have different life cycles. They range from annual seeds that live for just one growing season, to perennials that come back for multiple years. Whether you're most interested in getting the best value for money or being able to easily change things up next year, this is an important aspect to consider.
- Colour family – Are you looking for wildflower seeds that will complement an existing colour scheme when they bloom? Or do you want wildflowers of a single colour or a mix? The colours you choose play an important role in setting the mood and tone of your garden.
- Flowering time – Most wildflower seeds flower between May and September, but some can flower outside these months, so you should choose your seeds according to when you want them to bloom.
Why buy wildflower seed packets from Unwins?
- We're committed to providing our customers with high-quality and easy-to-grow gardening seeds. Here's a handful of reasons why you can count on us:
- We're one of the UK's leading suppliers of seeds, from wildflowers all the way to vegetables
- We have 120 years of experience in the gardening industry
- With a dedicated team and fully equipped germination laboratory, you can be sure of getting only the highest quality seeds
- We stock a wide variety of seeds, so you will find wildflowers to suit your needs
- Our Little Growers range encourages children to get their hands dirty and connect with nature
Transform your garden with Unwins' wildflower seed
Are you ready to turn your outdoor space into a beautiful sanctuary? Then look no further than our range of wildflower seeds. With more than a century's experience serving the British public, you can count on us for wildflowers seeds that bloom to create bright, lush meadows.
Browse the selection on this page to find the wildflower seed packets that best suit you. When you're ready to buy, either find your nearest stockist or buy online.
For any questions about our wildflower seeds, don't hesitate to get in touch. Alternatively, check out our advice hub for expert guidance on sowing seeds and growing wildflowers, as well as key terms used in the UK gardening industry.