Why Plant Flower Seeds?
There are countless reasons why you should plant seeds for flowers. Not only do they make your garden more beautiful, but they can also save you money – and even help you grow your own vegetables!
Every garden benefits from a splash of colour. Planting flower seeds is the perfect way to liven up your outdoor space, even if that's a balcony or patio. Even a small pot of flowers can make a huge difference, transforming your outside area into a more vibrant and enjoyable environment.
Cut flowers are a natural delight that should be available in abundance. Yet thanks to the cost of buying flowers from a florist, we tend to see them as more of a gift item or luxury. When you plant seeds for flowers, you create your own plentiful supply of sweet-scented blooms. Whether given as a thoughtful gift or brought indoors for decoration, they'll put a smile on your face – at a fraction of the cost of a visit to the florist.
Planting flower seeds in your vegetable patch is surprisingly beneficial, helping you maintain natural balance in your garden. The strong scents of certain flowers can confuse pests and attract pollinators, helping your vegetables produce a healthier and more plentiful harvest, this is known as companion planting.
What Type of Flower Seeds do Unwins Produce?
We have a broad range of seeds for flowers on offer, making it easy for you to find something that's to your taste. Our collection includes:
- Annual flowers such as cosmos, marigolds, and sunflowers, which grow and die in the space of a single season
- Biennial flowers like pansies and foxgloves, which flower the year after you sow them
- Perennial flowers such as delphiniums, lavender, and salvias, which bloom year after year
- Sweet peas, the type of flower seeds Unwins is best known for
- Wildflower seeds that turn your garden into a gorgeous meadow
What to Consider When Choosing Seeds for Flowers?
With such variety in our range, consider your needs to narrow down the options. Here are a few aspects for you to consider:
- Flowering time – Is there a particular time of year that you want your flowers to bloom? If so, choose your seeds accordingly.
- Colour family – Flower gardens are vibrant and pleasing displays of colour. Whether you prefer energetic and warm hues or soothing, cool tones, our collection has something for you.
- Attributes – Do you want your flowers to have a particular quality such as being scented, quick to grow, or long flowering? If so, make sure you select seeds that match.